Thursday, October 13, 2011

Overweight Problem

One of the worst things I can hear as a parent from Annaleigh's pediatrician is "She's overweight. She needs to lose a couple of pounds." These were words spoken from our pediatrician last week at Annaleigh's well check.

Yesterday, it hit home even more, when Annaleigh said "I had a bad time in P.E., Mom. I was the last one running in my class and it really hurt to breathe."

There was a quick flash back to the time I was in P.E. and I was the overweight kid running in last and trying my best to catch my breath. A repeating pattern? Have I failed as a parent? I'm really upset with myself. I'm the parent, I'm responsible for this and I don't know where I have gone wrong!

When I think back to when I found out I was pregnant with Annaleigh, I wanted my unborn baby to have the best and be the healthiest. I avoided soda. I was always on the move; walking. Instead of gaining weight, I lost about 30 lbs. Annaleigh was born and her feeding schedule was always exact and never more than she needed.  As she became a toddler, I was the mommy who refuse to give her candy or juices. TV time was limited and she LOVED vegetables.

Where did I go wrong? How do I fix this? Will she grow up to be a 35 year old woman with an overweight problem like me?

I've taken a close look at my family. This is what I have realized....

The three of us ARE overweight as a family!
We need to get our ACT together as a family!
We have NO EXCUSES for not being able to succeed as a family!

Everyone has to be on board in order for the three of us to get moving. A family meeting? It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment